We know Earlsfield loves a cake contest, and this time we've a crown to defend. Don your best pinny to raise money for Wandsworth Radio and Wandsworth Oasis.
The Wandsworth Bake Off is back on Saturday 19th September at the Northcote Records venue in Northcote Road, Battersea. The popular event was created and is run jointly by Wandsworth Radio and Wandsworth Oasis the local charity supporting people affected with HIV.
Last year over fifty local amateur bakers competed for amazing prizes but 30 year old Jade Ripley from Earlsfield pipped them all to the post when she won the STAR BAKER prize with her lemon meringue cup cakes.
Who will take the STAR BAKER prize this year? It could be you. Pop into any Wandsworth Oasis charity store for an application form or email info@WandsworthRadio.com Three local celebrity bakers will be judging the competition (see the original article for details).
How do I enter?
If you want to enter the Wandsworth Bake off you need to fill out an application form. Entry is £5 per category, or £10 for three categories. For juniors, it is £5
How does it work on the day?
You bake in advance, in your own kitchen, then on the big day you bring your splendid bakes to Northcote Records venue which is at 8-10 Northcote Road, Battersea, SW11 1NT between 11am and 12.
When you arrive you display your bakes in the designated area.
Between Midday and 1pm our judges will stuff their faces and pick the best bakes. Prizes will be given for first in each category, and an overall ‘Star Baker’ will be chosen. If you are happy for us to sell your bakes, they will go on sale.
1) Cake – Any sponge – fruity, chocolatey, classic – whatever you like. (Icing the cake is optional.)
2) Cupcakes – 12 beautifully decorated cupcakes. (Each must be consistent and must only be made from one recipe.)
3) Traybake – Cake, brownie, flapjacks, shortbread, anything! (Please present cut up into squares or rectangles.)
4) Bread – Any loaf with a maximum of 500g of flour when baking. (You can flavour your bread if you want.)
5) Biscuits – An even batch of 12 biscuits or cookies.
6) Afternoon Tea – A tiered cake stand suitably filled and presented.
Must be made with 2 bake types; scones, cakes, pastries, meringues, etc. –
7) Junior* – Any full cake, 12 cupcakes, a tasty traybake, biscuits, or cookies.
* Junior entries will be judged in two age groups: 7 – 11yrs and 12 – 16 years