Information about Earlsfield and surrounds
|Photo from Herry Lawford on Flickr|
Where is Earlsfield?Earlsfield is a suburb in southwest London in the borough of Wandsworth. This site focuses mainly on the area around Garratt Lane, SW18.
Read more about Earlsfield on Wikipedia.
- Earlsfield is in the London Borough of Wandsworth.
- The council is on Twitter as @wandbc. They also have a Facebook page.
- There are three ward councillors for Earlsfield:
- Cllr Mrs Angela Graham (Conservative) also on Twitter as @Ange_Earlsfield
- Cllr Charles Lescott (Conservative) who has a blog and is on Twitter as @clescott1
- Cllr Rachael Stokes (Labour) who has a website and is on Twitter as @rachaelstokes
- Wandsworth Common ward also covers part of Earlsfield:
- Cllr Mrs Claire Clay (Conservative)
- Cllr Maurice Heaster (Conservative)
- Cllr Mrs Kathy Tracey (Conservative)
- Earlsfield Conservatives are also on Twitter as @EarlsfieldBlue and Earlsfield Labour as @EarlsfieldLabour
- Did you know that Wandsworth Common used to house the world's largest refracting telescope? That Earlsfield had one of the first cinemas in London? Or that it used to be surrounded by pig farms? See photos of all these and more at Tara Arts' fantastic Earlsfield gallery.
- The Summerstown182 project does regular guided historical walks in the Earlsfield area. The next one, including a stretch of the Wandle is on Saturday 23rd January, meeting 2pm outside St Mary's Church on Keble Street. See https://summerstown182.wordpress.com/guided-walk/ for more details.
- Read an eyewitness account of Earlsfield in the Second World War.
- Explore records for St Andrew church at the National Archives.
- A detailed historical walk along the River Wandle by the Edith's Streets blog.
- The Magdalen Estate is an area of housing between Garratt Lane and Trinity Road. Read more at the dedicated website, including a comprehensive list of sporting and leisure facilities.
- Earlsfield is in the Tooting constituency. The MP is Sadiq Khan (Labour).
- Sadiq is on Twitter as @sadiqkhan, and has a Facebook and Google+ page.
- The Earlsfield Safer Neighbourhoods Team have a dedicated website.
- Their three top priorities are: residential burglary, anti-social behaviour and drugs, and reducing theft of and from motor vehicles.
- The Wandsworth Borough Police also have a webpage. You can also find them on Twitter as @MPSWandsworth and on Facebook.