Following the strapline "ideas worth spreading", TED invites diverse and interesting speakers to share their thoughts, experiences and stories with an invited audience. Now they've diversified to TEDx, a local, self-organised version.
You can go along to the day to hear from their great speakers, join the team, or volunteer on the day. Read the press release below to find out more..
The organisers say:
TEDxWandsworth will take place on 14 November at South Thames College from 10 am – 5pm. The independently organized event, licensed by TED, will feature local voices and TED Talks videos under the theme of ‘Be the Change’.
Launched in 2009, TEDx is a program of locally organized events that bring the community together to share a TED-like experience. Some of the best talks from TEDx events have gone on to be featured on TED.com and garnered millions of views from audiences across the globe.
- TEDxWandsworth is a one-day event where 15 invited speakers – representing a cross section of individuals, organisations, and businesses – will address the theme ‘Be the Change’, and talk for up to 18 minutes.
- Innovation Square will showcase a number of tech innovations, local businesses and organisations; delegates can interact with state-of-the-art devices and find out more information.
- The day will comprise of entertainment from a variety of musical genres from across the Wandsworth, and delegates will the opportunity to engage with speakers and other delegates about subjects and ideas explored between sessions. Lunch will also be provided.
“I have been watching TEDx and TED videos for several years and found them to be amazing little pockets of information and awareness. One thought, one insight from a speaker can create the spark, the catalyst for change. And that is what TEDx is all about – ‘spreading great ideas’.
“We believe our speakers represent people who are at the forefront of ‘being the change’ in their organisations or careers, or through their own life stories which have manifested change and signify hope for others.
“Our speakers come from a cross-section of industry from high tech, data privacy, trail blazers in product design, mental health awareness, domestic abuse, wild animal welfare, behaviour change in Environmental campaigns, Telecommunications, and great individual stories of triumph over adversity. It’s going to be a great day!”
Speakers at TEDxWandsworth include:
- Marie Hanson – Founder of S.T.O.R.M
- Jatinder Verma – Artistic Director of Tara Arts
- Hannah Reidy – Trainee Psychologist and Founder of SW18Club
- Oluwaseyi Sosanya – Designer & Founder of Gravity Sketch
- Solomon Ian-Sangala – A Level Student Clothing entrepreneur of AttireX
- Daniel Doherty – CEO of GraffORM and Happiness Evangelist
- Julien Ma – Hotung Chair of Molecular Immunology, St. George’s Hospital
- Robin Mukherjee – Award-winning scriptwriter of feature film Lore
- Emma Carr – Director of Big Brother Watch
- Hermione Taylor – Founding Director of DoNation
- Geraldine Morelli – Founder of Wild & Free, animal charity which supports the rescue, rehabilitation and reintroduction of primates and other wild animals around the world.
- Daniel Gurrola – Telecommunications Visionary
- Professor Julian Ma – Director of the Institute for Infection and Immunity at St. George’s, University of London
TEDxWandsworth Partners include: Wandsworth Radio, Hootesuite, Shutterstock and Mailchimp. We are also looking for local businesses and organisations who feel their brand values align with TEDx ethos to ‘spread great ideas’ to partner with us and help us to put on event for local people in Wandsworth.
For more information about TEDxWandsworth, please visit www.TEDxWandsworth.com or visit www.FACEBOOK/TedxWandsworth Twitter @TEDxWandsworth