15 August 2014

Review: Sylvan Oak Earlsfield

Last weekend I was very kindly invited to dine as a guest at Sylvan Oak. I've been meaning to book ever since they opened earlier this year and it was too good an opportunity to pass up, even if I did feel a bit cheeky saying yes!

We arrived just as the heavens were opening and were warmly greeted by the front of house staff. Their friendly, knowledgeable, but never intrusive service was a highlight of the evening. The interior has been simply decorated in pale, warm colours, with a stone feature wall giving a glimpse into the kitchen. The whoosh of traffic on the wet road was occasionally a little noisy but it was so cosy inside that we hardly noticed.


We began with fragrant, freshly baked rolls and olives while we perused the menu. Two courses are £30 and three are £36, very reasonable for the quality of food on offer.

Harissa roast South Down lamb
We headed straight for the mains, choosing 'Rabbit Loin and Bacon with Rabbit Leg Pastille, Mustard & Honey Glazed Chantelle Carrots' and 'Harissa Roast South Down Lamb Rump with Crushed Pea, Goats Cheese & Potato Millefeuille, Aubergine & Spicy Tomato Sauce.' Tasty, well-cooked, and well-presented, both dishes got a thumbs up from us. 

I can't pretend to be a serious reviewer, but I ate every bit.
 
Rhubarb cheescake and delights
For dessert, I couldn't turn down the hot chocolate fondant, while my companion went for the rhubarb cheesecake with an assortment of rhubarb delights. The fondant was warm, rich, and gooey in the middle (as I have learned from many Masterchef viewings, something that's not always guaranteed). My partner was equally pleased with his aptly-named delights, so much so that I barely got a taste! 

We had both intended to stick to one glass of wine but the staff, justly proud of their wine list, persuaded us to venture further afield. A wine-savvy friend has given the wine list his nod of approval; Sylvan Oak are apparently looking to extend it but what we sampled was lovely.

The night we visited was busy but not packed; we heard that Friday and Saturday nights are often fully booked and weekdays are beginning to fill up as well, so if you're planning a visit it would pay to book.

I'm really pleased Sylvan Oak is doing well. The team we met on the night are clearly passionate about what they do - it's a hackneyed phrase but entirely true in this case - and are keen to become a staple of the Earlsfield scene. I will be back, and hope to see you there!

Thanks to the Sylvan Oak team for the invitation and memorable evening, especially handling the surprise organised by my partner for dessert! I wish you every success.

Sylvan Oak Earlsfield

558-560 Garratt Lane, SW17 0NY
0208 944 7944
reservations@sylvanoakearlsfield.co.uk
(Closed Mondays)

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed Sylan Oak on my visit and am looking forward to going back.

    ReplyDelete