16 June 2014

Meet our new Councillors - Rachael Stokes

I wrote earlier about the three new councillors now representing Earlsfield on Wandsworth council. New Labour councillor Rachael Stokes has kindly written an introductory blog post to tell you all a bit more about herself and what issues she's hoping to tackle.
I hope to have blogs from our other councillors soon.

Rachael writes:

I’ve kindly been invited to introduce myself to Go Earlsfield followers after my election as one of the ward Councillors last month. I am absolutely thrilled and honoured to have been elected so would first of all like to say a massive thank you to all who voted for me or took time to share with me the issues they thought I should be working on.

I guess I should tell you a little bit about myself. Well I’ve lived in Earlsfield (Leckford Rd) for the past six years with my husband Nick. I currently work for VSO, an international development charity that works through volunteers, and am also a trustee of the Wandsworth Citizens Advice Bureaux. In my spare time I like pottering in the garden and singing with the London Philharmonic Choir. I also enjoy the occasional weekend away camping.

However, more importantly, I should probably share what you’ve been telling me and the Earlsfield Labour team over the past 18 months or so:

Housing, housing, housing
"I love where we live and want to stay here but we can't afford to buy. Even the rents are going up."
"I have damp in my property and have reported it to the council, but nothing has happened."
"I'm now paying more because of the bedroom tax. Even though I've been on a waiting list for the past six years to move to a smaller property."

Schools and school places
"My daughter doesn't have a school place for this September. I don't understand why - we're only in the next street from the school."
"Why are we having to build a new school when we only closed the Wandle Primary School a few years ago?"

Earlsfield station
"The platform going into London is severely overcrowded in the mornings. I have to wait for three or four trains to go by before I can actually get on. It's also potentially quite dangerous."

Garratt Lane shops
"It all seems to be estate agents and tanning salons these days. Where are the proper shops that most people need?"

Parking
"I often can't find anywhere to park near my house and it seems to be getting worse. It's a real problem when I'm trying to unload shopping with two small children."
So these are the issues I will be working on with you over the next four years – or at least for starters! I’ll shortly be setting up monthly surgeries where you can come and raise any issues or concerns you have. In the meantime you can contact me on rstokes@wandsworth.gov.uk and follow what I’m doing via my website www.rachaelstokes.me or on twitter @rachaelstokes

I look forward to hearing from you!

1 comment: